Creating and maintaining a healthy environment through ethical corporate behavior is a facet of Touchmark's mission: To enrich people's lives. Touchmark's mandate touches many areas of business and social life and hopes to positively affect all people in these arenas by supporting and driving green services and products, serving as an example for other businesses, and providing a clean, healthy environment for ourselves, our children and our children's children.
How we do it
Touchmark at Coffee Creek utilizes a number of green products and services which support the environment while providing for a high quality lifestyle in an innovative, active retirement community.
Products and services used include:
- Green power - 100% of power at the community is sourced from sustainable wind power
- Single-family homes are ENERGY STAR© Certified
- Community wide initiative for staff and residents to switch from incandescent to CFL by participating in the EPA Energy Star Pledge
- High efficiency toilets
- LED and CFL lighting
- Properly timed and metered landscape water use
- Native plant landscaping
- Automatic lighting
- High quality insulation combined with high efficiency HVAC systems keeps buildings cool in the summer and warm in the winter
- Green architectural design - building layouts take advantage of winter time sun exposure to maximize heat absorption and daylighting
- Group transportation - saving energy by combining trips and reducing personal car use
- High efficiency laundry machines
- High efficiency dish washers
- Reducing paper use and increasing reliance on digital communication
- Reducing and eliminating the use of disposable items
- Green fabrics and floor coverings
- Zero-voc or low-voc paints
What we save
One of the rewards of being green is the satisfaction of a job well done. At Touchmark at Coffee Creek we purchase over 2,285,000 kilowatt hours per year of electricity, 100% of our electricity needs, from sustainable wind powers! Our partner in this endeavor, Edmond Electric, sources this power from their own wind farm as part of its initiative to make sustainable energy available and affordable for the Edmond community.
The pollution prevented by the use of 2,285,000 kilowatt hours of wind power generated electricity is equivalent to one of the following:
- Annual greenhouse gas emissions from 310 passenger vehicles
- CO2 emissions from 182,166 gallons of gasoline consumed
- CO2 emissions from 3,766 barrels of oil consumed
- CO2 emissions from 21.6 tanker trucks’ worth of gasoline
- CO2 emissions from the electricity use of 197 homes for one year
- Carbon sequestered by 41,525 tree seedlings grown for 10 years
- Carbon sequestered annually by 345 acres of pine or fir forests
- CO2 emissions from 67,477 propane cylinders used for home barbecues
- CO2 emissions from burning 8.5 railcars’ worth of coal
- Greenhouse gas emissions avoided by recycling 545 tons of waste instead of sending it to the landfill
As calculated by the Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator.
Touchmark at Coffee Creek is constantly exploring new technology regarding design and operation, including green building, lighting systems, daylighting, HVAC and insulation. Our latest project involves constructing a new wing that will provide new memory care services and expand existing independent living accommodations.
Find out how you can participate
We encourage you to get on board the green initiative. You can make a difference in your own community and we would like to help! The following is a list of resources on the web for more information: